Laughter is the best medicine!And yes, Alan has learned to laugh! Daddy was the first one to make him do it - as everyone knows, Dan is a funny guy. Today Alan actually produced a full-out giggle when I tickled his armpits, but of course when I took out the video camera he was quite serious and acted like he had no idea what I was trying to get him to do.
On Thursday, Alan took his first trip to a hotel. We stopped in at the Country Inn and Suites in Buffalo to hang out with Janet Bartels (a friend of mine from camp) and her three boys approximately ages 9, 4, and 2. I got a small glimpse of my future as a parent of a boy while I watched arms and legs and heads swing dangerously close to my little Alan in the hotel room. But the good news is, her boys seemed indestructible no matter what they hit their head on, so hopefully Alan will be too!
Alan spent Friday at Grandma Lucy's with his Auntie Laura and cousins Lillian (almost 2) and Abigail (1.5 months older than Alan). Looking at Abigail is like fast forwarding Alan 5 or 6 weeks. So I am guessing in a month and a half he will be able to grab toys and suck his thumb - he was very jealous that she knew how to do this as he has been trying to shove his whole fist in his mouth ever since he was born.
Saturday brought a visit from Uncle Andy! An object of wonder and amazement entered Alan's world that day: Uncle Andy's car keys. I am pretty sure he had never seen keys before, and after many swings of his arm, he even succeeded in grabbing them for a split second. I am sure, by the next time Andy visits, Alan will just take the keys and drive away.
Sunday came and Alan made his first visit to the new Menards in Buffalo. I could see that it was a special father-son moment. Alan even opened his eyes briefly when we entered. Next, we tried the authentic Mexican restaurant in town, the Rancho Grande. I think Alan wanted to try some of Dave's hot sauce, but I thought he was too young. Grandma Gloria and Dave were at our house all afternoon, so of course Alan got lots of attention.
Last week I learned two things. This week, Mommy lesson #3 was that old men who would normally look at me with a grumpy face at the grocery store (or wherever) are suddenly much more friendly when I come along with a baby. They smile, start a conversation, and even open doors for us. It's great! I wonder if it has anything to do with the striking similarity between a grumpy old man's face and Alan's grumpy face . . . is there a kinship there?
Come back next week to read about Alan's Amazing Adventures!

4 Comments:
There is something about babies and video cameras...we have tried many a time to catch those "one time only" moments with Austin when he was a newborn. We got a few but he would see that camera and went into instant serious mode. Now he just puts on a show!! Alan is growing so fast! Enjoy these days with him because hell be walking before you know it! :-)
3:51 PM
Alan is maybe the happiest and best looking kid in North America. I love hearing about his amazing adventures!!
Love,
Emily
p.s. I hear that you can donate to Concordia in Alan's name. Are you interested?
11:54 PM
i know that dan makes me laugh, so i wasn't too surprised that he was able to con alan into his first laugh! beth i really enjoyed hearing what God is teaching you--thank you for being real and vulnerable! i learn so much from being your friend! give alan a kiss from me!
7:44 AM
Once upon a time there was a prince named Alan. All of his royal subjects oo'd and awe'd over him. He was the cutest baby in all the kingdom. One day, his mother, Princess B took him to a wonderful place called Menards. There, his mother recalled a previous time when she, Princess Moni and Sir Dan went to find a blow torch to get the leaves out of the gutters at G-stone-camp-alot. What a comical time it was, she thought.
9:01 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home